If this is your first time coming into the awareness that you have OCD or an anxiety disorder, know that with education and treatment, these conditions are highly treatable. Here are some current statistics on OCD and anxiety disorders:
At what age does OCD start?
- OCD can start at any time from preschool to adulthood. Although OCD may occur at earlier ages, there are generally two age ranges when OCD first appears:
- Between ages 8 and 12
- Between the late teens and early adulthood
How common is having OCD or another anxiety disorder?
- Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older (18% of U.S. population).
- OCD is equally common among men and women.
How long does it take most people to get treatment?
- Studies find that it takes an average of 7 to 10 years from the time OCD begins for people to obtain appropriate treatment.
How effective is treatment?
- Anxiety disorders are highly treatable, yet only about one-third of those suffering receive treatment.
How does an anxiety disorder develop?
- Anxiety disorders develop from a complex set of risk factors, including genetics, brain chemistry, personality, and life events.
As you see, you are not alone in the fight against OCD or anxiety. With this awareness, the key is figuring out how you can move forward. Finding a therapist that specializes in OCD or your specific anxiety disorder is key to getting real solutions and help for your fears, concerns and compulsions. With effective treatment you are able to break free from an anxiety disorder. The Gateway Institute is here to help you; we look forward to supporting you on your road to recovery.